Wednesday, April 14, 2010

9. Sunflowers



Today I came up with all sorts of sunny things I wanted to write about. It was so hard to just choose one! So I'm adding another tonight.

When I was little, I got a frame from my grandma. It was a Pocahontas frame, and while I never really liked Pocahontas, the frame came with a packet of sunflower seeds. Oh did I love those sunflower seeds. I planted them next to our shed in the backyard and watched them grow. They lasted for years. Then, in gradeschool, we sang a hymn that said "Like a sunflower that follows every movement of the sun, so I turn toward you, I follow you, my God. In simplicity, charity, I follow. In simplicity, honesty, I follow. In simplicity, fidelity, I follow."

That's how I learned that sunflowers turn toward the sun. And that's when I decided they were the coolest flowers ever.

They seem to fit this week, though. After this weekend's retreat, I've got a lot of things to work through and figure out, but I know for sure that I want to follow God's will for my life, whatever it may be, and it seems to me that sunflowers set a pretty darn good example.

Today's sunny thing?
Sunflowers

No comments:

Post a Comment