Monday, April 26, 2010

22. Dresses




This weekend was full of dresses. Weddings always seem to have that effect -- dresses come out of closets for the first time in years. I'll bet I wasn't the only one that did that this weekend. I tried on old homecoming dresses, prom dresses, sun dresses, easter dresses, summer dresses, and about 60 new potentials for this wedding. I eventually had to settle on two, of course, but with unlimited funds and unlimited time, I'd probably have ended up with about 27 new dresses in my closet even though I rarely dress up.

There's something about a dress that makes a girl regress to childhood. Makes her want to play dress-up and curl her hair and put on her mommy's makeup and twirl in circles. Then she gets the makeup on and the hair done and slips on her heels and she transforms into a woman. A woman who wants to walk down the street, clutch in hand, and turn heads. She wants to dance and sway and feel the music pulsing through her veins. And, by the end of the night, with the makeup slightly melted and the out-of-place curls falling loosely around her face, she carries her shoes in her hands and wanders home, ready to crawl in bed and drift off to sleep, once again resorting to the dreamworld left over from childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment