Thursday, July 22, 2010

51. My Eyes



My eyes... just one of hundreds/thousands/millions of things that I take for granted.

Yesterday I was babysitting for a 6 month old whose parents don't want him watching TV. However, like his mother, I don't like sitting in a silent house with a baby. SO I turn on the classical channel, which shows a slideshow of about 5 nature pictures and plays only classical music. It's quite the nice channel, actually. But that's beside the point.

The point is, that I was playing with the little guy and glanced up at the TV to see a simple picture that struck me somewhere deep inside. It was of a girl about my age standing with her back to the camera. She had her hands in her sweatshirt pockets, capri sweats and tennis shoes on, and a backpack on her back. She was standing on a cliff looking over the edge. The only thing we saw in the picture was the blue sky beyond her, a few fluffy white clouds floating by. But that picture hit me: I want to go there.

It took me a few years to truly appreciate all of the beauty in this world, but for some reason the Summer of 21 brought a newfound vision for it. The next picture was of someone sitting with their legs straight in front of them, ankles crossed, and mountains stretching in every direction. I wanted to be there too.

Today I went to the State park for a run. Now, our state park is questionable. Look one way and you see the coal power plant. Look the other way and you see the nuclear one. The lake will never have a green flag flying because of E.Coli in the water, and it's so murky that you can't see your feet more than 2 or 3 feet into it. However, today I was walking and all of a sudden the sheer beauty that surrounded me just hit me. I stopped. Literally stopped and turned to Brian and told him that I wished everyone in the world could feel the overwhelming sense of happiness at the beauty around us at that moment. It was wonderful.

So today, today I am thankful for my eyes. For the ability to truly appreciate all of the crazy beautiful things God had created and set before me to take in. I don't think I could ever get enough of it.

Today's Sunny Thing?
My Eyes

1 comment:

  1. You are very perceptive for one so young. Keep that child like quality and you will have a happy life.

    ReplyDelete